πŸ“£ The forum has moved to GitHub

We’ve switched to GitHub Discussions as the hub for our community. This will improve the experience of collaborating for everyone, sharing what you’re working on, and discussing ideas for how Swell can be improved. Existing threads will remain open, but new posts are disabled.

Go to GitHub β†’

Track Inventory of physical subscriptions

Hello all,

I have the following problem: we use Swell to map subscriptions of physical products. So we rent "real products" and send them by mail. When a subscription ends, we receive the product back by mail.

However, tracking the inventory doesn't really work out, because it seems that every month a product is withdrawn from the inventory. Actually, only at the beginning of a subscription a product should be deducted from the stock.

Do you have a solution for this?

Glad about tips :)

Translated with DeepL

Answers

• Not really @Florian, but I would suggest you a workaround for this.

Once the order is created for subsequent months, the inventory count is reduced by default with the swell implementation. Can we listen for the webhook events from Swell for new order creation and increment the inventory count for the corresponding products?

Would this works for you?

• Thanks - Unfortunately, that doesn't help as I'm without a programmer and want to use out-ouf-the-box solutions.

• @Florian As you mentioned that you were looking for an out-of-the-box solution without custom programming, I am gonna propose you a different solution that you may like with the following assumptions:

1. You have a private storefront, which means that only you can add items & checkout in the cart and your customers won't be accessing the storefront.
    2. You have a very limited set of products not exceeding 10 or 20, as this solution involves some manual one-time operation for each product, but this couldn't be a big deal if you could automate it via our backend APIs.
    3. You have the products with inventory tracking and subscription pricing enabled.

Solution:

1. Clone the existing products and set the standard pricing as zero and disable the subscription pricing for the cloned products.
    2. Disable the inventory tracking for the original product and make sure it is enabled for the cloned product.
    3. While adding items to the cart, add both original & cloned items together in the cart and then checkout.
    4. In this way, when the order is generated, you could see the inventory would be tracked only for the first-time order creation and subsequent orders generated from the subscriptions won't reduce the product count from the inventory since the inventory is not enabled for the original (or subscription) product.
    5. Also, your customers won't be doubled-charged since you set the pricing of the cloned product as zero.

Would this solution work for you now?

• Hey @Logesh_Dinakaran , my Storefront is open to the customers, so unfortunately your solution will not work in this case. Thanks for the thoughts...

Do you know if swell is working on a real solution?

• @Florian Not really at the moment. But, we will prioritize sometime later based on the number of interests.